Friday, April 18, 2008

Take the heat

That's it, this spinach is getting out of hand. It's bloody growing like a weed. I got off school early today and was sitting around doing nothing, so again nipped off to Bunnings and purchased a $10 germination tray for the spinach. I had to fork out $1 for one of those fancy carry bags because I was on a bike and lets face it, it'd just be awkward otherwise. This brings the total expenses to $106 for this planting cycle. Sigh.

I did my first bulk transplanting. I've finally learned to get rid of all the dirt on the seedlings' roots, poke a hole in the tray, and stick the roots in and close dirt over it. Since I had to do this forty times(as opposed to 5 or 10 times before), I became quite fast at it. It really has been straining my neck and back muscles though. Not even sure I'm doing this right but the success rate will let me know!

Looking at the instructions that came with the tray though, it turns out that the awesome stand that came with it is actually a cover which can be used to trap the moisture in. Make it kind of like a greenhouse. I was wondering why they bothered to include that, but hey, ya live, ya learn.

So I've thinned out the spinach significantly. The chives and spring onions are another story though, they've sprouted like crazy and are now up to 5cm tall! I also spotted some parsley sprouts.

I ordered 250 10cm pots for $30 via Trademe, I figured this was a steal. I'm going to need more potting soil though, my 40L bag is nearly decimated and my bag of bark is gone.

No comments: