Tuesday, April 15, 2008

All the well laid plans of mice and men...

Today, I received news that someone I knew had committed suicide. I spent the day moping and not at school, so I decided to do some planting to take my mind off of this. I nipped down to Bunnings Warehouse, grabbed 2 40 cell germination trays($10 each, $20 total), plus lettuce and onion seeds($5), and because my spinaches were getting so big, I caved in and bought five 15cm pots with the drainage plates for an exorbitant $10.

This brings the total spending to a hefty $87. Saw someone from school at the line, I was sitting there in my gardening clothes. Very awkward moment but I pretended that I was totally cool with short shorts and an old tshirt on, with old sandals. Totally.

I came home and filled in the germination trays with potting mix and attempted to place exactly two seeds in each cell. Alas, everything was wet so this was a bit harder, but I managed. I also transplanted about six or seven spinach plants into the 15cm pots. I'm sure I'm going to have 50 or so spinach plants, but we can always give them to friends.

No comments: